Membership in Oustomah Lodge #16 Nevada City CA I.O.O.F.
The process and journey to becoming an Odd Fellow is fun!
Who and What are the Odd Fellows? To learn more read this brief summary: What Is Odd Fellowship
Becoming an Odd Fellow member of our lodge and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) involves being a part of a fraternal order of Friendship, Love and Truth, The Three Rings, FLT
Our mission is to steward the historical building (built in 1873) in the heart of Nevada City, while providing community services that will elevate all in our community and beyond.
The pathway to become a member is not convoluted, but it does take time. We want you to be resolute in your commitment to become a member of our lodge and to know that you are a right fit.
- Come to our socials and events. All events are listed on our website under calendar of events or Happening Now. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you to our mailing list or join our emailing list from the website. This will send you invites to the socials and events.
- You must not only Attend at least 6 functions: potlucks, concerts or events we put on in the hall or the Seven Stars Gallery & Gathering Place, but engage with members and get to know the officers of our lodge.
- Come on Thursdays 10-1 to the Gathering Place at 210 Spring St. and just hang out with other members.
- Volunteer at the events or assist in the gallery if you can.
- Get to know the members. If you do not have a sponsor, this is the best way to get one. You must have a sponsor from our lodge to become a member. They will guide you through the process.
- Meet all members of the lodge, especially the officers. Ask your sponsor for guidance on this. Usually done at the Potluck or Socials.
- If you want to join, ask your sponsor for the membership application. The application requires a sponsors signature from a member of our lodge.
- Once you have applied for membership, you can attend a Non Formal Business meeting, held on the last Tuesday of the month at 5:30 in the temple. Ask your sponsor if it is a non formal meeting. Formal meetings are for members only.
- When your sponsor and you decide you are ready to move forward with your membership, your application will be submitted to the interview committee and they will contact you to schedule an interview time with you.
- Following the interview, the committee will make a motion regarding membership to the lodge at the following business meeting. A vote will be taken on membership at that time. You will be advised of the outcome of the vote.
If the lodge votes favorably to your membership, Huzzah! The next step will be to plan and schedule your initiation into our lodge as a initiatory member. A beautiful, theatrical and mystical experience.
- Join a Committee. Committees are how we get things done in our lodge. Join any of our Ad hoc committees that interest you. This is a great way to get to know us and to show the lodge that you are serious about doing good works and joining the lodge. View, the 2024 Committees, officers and members are to be determined. Check back soon.
- Committees Ad Hoc to be determined. Check back soon.
- Come to our First Tuesdays Potlucks in the hall! 5:30 PM
- Ask if you can attend an informal business meeting. Our meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 5:30PM. This will familiarize you with our current agenda, our by-laws and how we conduct our business meetings.
- Delve deeper into the history and meaning of being an Odd Fellow, we recommend that you read our past California Grand Master Michael Greenzeiger’s book, “The Odd Fellow Primer” available on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/Odd-Fellows-Primer-Michael-Greenzeiger/dp/057893857X
We feel strongly that spending the time to get to know us, working with us on committees and volunteering at the lodge, allows us to get to know you and for you to get to know us.
It is a commitment that we do not take lightly, and neither should you. While each member functions at their own ability to participate, we hope as a member, you will be committed to help our lodge thrive by assisting in our stewardship of the grand historical building and helping to strengthen our community through our Good Works program.
We wish you well on your journey all in Friendship, Love and Truth.
See you at the lodge!