Membership in Oustomah Lodge #16 Nevada City CA I.O.O.F.
The process and journey to becoming an Odd Fellow is fun!
Who and What are the Odd Fellows? To learn more read this brief summary: What are the Odds?
Becoming an Odd Fellow member of our lodge and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) involves being a part of a fraternal order of Friendship, Love and Truth. The Three Rings, FLT
Our mission is to steward the historical building (built in 1873) in the heart of Nevada City, while providing community services that will elevate all in our community and beyond.
The pathway to become a member is not convoluted, but it does take time. We want you to be resolute in your commitment to become a member of our lodge.
- Come to our socials, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you to our mailing list. This will send you invites to the socials and events.
- Attend at least 6 functions, potlucks, concerts or events we put on in the hall or the Seven Stars Gallery.
- Volunteer at the events if you can.
- Get to know the members. If you do not have a sponsor, this is the best way to get one.
- If you want to join, ask your sponsor for the membership application. The application requires a sponsors signature from a member of our lodge. (The sponsor is typically an Odd Fellow that you know as a friend or you have met during one of our socials or events).
- Your application will be submitted to the interview committee and they will schedule an interview time with you.
- Following the interview, the committee will make a motion regarding membership to the lodge. A vote will be taken on membership at that time. You will be advised of the outcome of the vote.
If the lodge votes favorably to your membership, Huzzah! The next step will be to plan and schedule your initiation into our lodge as a initiatory member. A beautiful, theatrical and mystical experience.
- Join a Committee. Committees are how we get things done in our lodge. Join any of our Ad hoc committees that interest you. This is a great way to get to know us and to show the lodge that you are serious about doing good works and joining the lodge. View, the 2023 Committees, officers and members here: COMMITTEE Assignments 2023
- Come to our First Tuesdays Potlucks in the hall! 5:30 PM
- Ask if you can attend an informal business meeting. Our meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 5:30PM. This will familiarize you with our current agenda, our by-laws and how we conduct our business meetings.
- Delve deeper into the history and meaning of being an Odd Fellow, we recommend that you read our past California Grand Master Michael Greenzeiger’s book, “The Odd Fellow Primer” available on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/Odd-Fellows-Primer-Michael-Greenzeiger/dp/057893857X
We feel strongly that spending the time to get to know us, working with us on committees and volunteering at the lodge, allows us to get to know you and for you to get to know us.
It is a commitment that we do not take lightly, and neither should you. While each member functions at their own ability to participate, we hope as a member, you will be committed to help our lodge thrive by assisting in our stewardship of the grand historical building and helping to strengthen our community through our Good Works program.
We wish you well on your journey all in Friendship, Love and Truth.
See you at the lodge!